Tuesday, December 28, 2021

A Kind of Spark

 









What I Liked:

I loved the tie in with autism and the witch trials.  My daughter, who is not autistic but has anxiety, has often said she would have been accused as a witch if she had lived back then.  This was a powerful punch in the book.  I also liked the talk about "masking" - anther thing that I think the world at large is still coming to terms with as far as people who are differently wired trying to "fit in" and to feel that they have to.


What I Didn't Like:

As an educator anytime a teacher is just that awful it makes me cringe.  Especially the scene after the fight.  The fact that the teacher was alone with Addie and was threatening her with suspension or expulsion without a principal around isn't realistic from my experiences in schools for over 20 years.  That doesn't mean it has never happened and I know the author is writing from her own experiences...  I hope that never happened to her and I pray that the world and the education system will continue to improve in understanding and valuing the ways we are different and the ways that all humanity is also the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Samosa Rebellion

  This book was really interesting to me in that it took current immigration disagreements and placed them in a semi-fictional setting.  On ...